Medical Device Usability Testing
Medical device usability is the characteristics of the User Interface that facilitate Use, to make it easier for the users to perceive the information presented by the User Interface, to understand and make a decision based on that information.
To interact with the medical device to achieve specified goals in the intended use environment. These factors can influence safety to various degrees. Usability Testing of medical devices refers to the user interface characteristic which establishes user learning and user satisfaction, effectiveness, efficiency, and ease.
Usability Testing of Medical Devices
Medical Device Usability Engineering is also known as Human Factors Engineering. This is the application of information about human behavior, capabilities, shortcomings, and other features to the design of medical devices like software, systems, tasks to achieve adequate usability.
Three major elements of Usability Engineering are User, User Interface, and Use Environment. The interaction of these 3 elements with Device in Use results in either safe and effective use or correct use or unsafe or ineffective use or user error.
Usability Engineering Medical Devices Process
It is a process which provides safety for the patient, user and others related to usability. This process mitigates the risks associated with the correct use and use errors due to usability problems. This process helps manufacturer to:
- Identify hazards and hazardous situations related to the user and user interface
- Design and implement risk control measures related to the user interface
- Evaluate the risk control measures
The process is as follows:
- Prepare use specification,
- Identify frequently used functions,
- Identify known or foreseeable hazards and hazardous situation (ISO 14971-foreseeable misuse)
- Identify device primary operating function,
- Develop Usability specification,
- Prepare usability validation plan,
- Design and implement user interface,
- Verify user interface,
- Validate usability of medical device
Usability Engineering File
All aspects of Medical Device Usability should be documented in a Usability Engineering File. It should have the following aspects:
- Independent file
- Part of product design file or risk management file
- Should contain references and pointers to all required documents
- Should enable efficient auditing of the design and development process
EU MDR Applicable Medical Device Usability standards
The latest EU harmonized standard for Medical Device Usability is EN 62366:2008, Medical Devices: Application of Usability Engineering to Medical Devices. This is a process-based standard for usability analysis, design, verification, and validation through the medical device development cycle as it relates to their safety.
This is an adopted standard from the international standard IEC 62366:2007.
Why Medical Device Usability Is Important?
It reduces the use error, reduces the training efforts needed, improves performance in using devices, reduces stress of the user. It should be conducted throughout all phases of design and development of medical devices.